Mad As Tim Burton’s Hatter Costumes

I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan and once I heard he'd be starring in Disney's new version of "Alice in Wonderland" opening in March 2010, I had to pay homage to it!

Here's my costume breakdown (even the parts you can't see!):

Hat: I made a pattern that would fit my head and be the right shape. I cut it out of green microsuede, heavy interfacing and reinforced the shape with cardborad strips. I stamped the outside with black and gold paint to create depth. I made the hatpins out of BBQ skewers and hot glue, painted them or embossed them and...magic! Homemade hatpins! The hat band (actually, hat scarf) is a piece of cotton I hemmed and frayed the ends to create fringe.

Wig & Eyebrows: I made a mold of my head using plastic wrap and duct tape. I then created a wig cap out of cheap, loose-weave cotton. I sewed the hair onto it and using rollers, a lot of product and an iron I created the kinky texture. I made the eyebrows by attaching the hair to two layers of tulle.

"Shirt": In Florida, where I am, it was unseasonably warm this Halloween. So, I created a dickie and matching cuffs with lace trim out of pink cotton fabric. The bow tie is a leopard print fabric (that I got for free from a clothing boutique!) that I painted with screen printing ink to get all of the colors.

Gloves & Hands: I traced my hand and made the cutoff gloves. I made the "thread Spool Thimbles" out of 3/4" CPVC pipe, gold paint and red yarn (I didn't have blue yarn to match my inspiration!).

Jacket & Chain: The jacket is made from cheap fabric, using the wrong side as the right side and a store bought pattern. I embellished it with random, mis-matched buttons and bias tape on the bottoms of the sleeves. The "THread Spool Chain" is made from 1/2" tubing, white vinyl, cardstock and gold cording.

Pants: The pants are just a simple pattern that I'd already made and shortened to the proper length.

Socks: The socks are actually fake: They are spandex tubes that I made long enough to fit into my shoes and over my knees!

Spats: I made the spats out of lime green cotton fabric that I then painted with yellow-orange acrylic paint. I finished the edges with black bias tape.

So, that's how I did it! As you've read, I only used a store bought pattern for my jacket; the rest I made to suit my inspiration pictures. I hope everyone enjoys it and is inspired to use random objects in creating future costumes and clothing!!

Submitted by Curtis Williams, Jacksonville, FL

Find it on Spirit Halloween!
Rate this Costume:
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars6 Stars7 Stars8 Stars9 Stars10 Stars (14 votes, average: 4.43 out of 10)
Loading...